April 17, 2011

Monday of Holy Week, Day Thirty-five


Lectionary

Morning - Psalm 71, Isaiah 42:1-7, John 14:1-14
Evening - Psalms 42 & 43, Lamentations 1:7-12, John 14:15-31

John 14:15-31

If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;  Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.  Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.  He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me. These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me. But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

Commentary

Judas has the same problem as Philip (Jn. 14:9).  Both knew much about Jesus.  They knew Jesus could heal the sick and raise the dead, for  they had seen that with their own eyes.  They knew Jesus was the Messiah, the One of whom Moses and the prophets wrote (Jn. 1:45).  They had heard His sermons and seen His miracles.  They had walked with Jesus for three years, sharing hardship, ridicule, and danger with Him.  Yet They did not know Jesus.   They did not know Jesus was God in human form (Jn. 1:1-14).  They did not know Jesus was the revelation of the Father (Jn. 1:18).  They did not know that if they have "seen" Jesus they have seen the Father, and they did not know that the cross was the manifestation of Christ to the world.

 Devotional Thoughts

To "see" Jesus is more than to simply view Him with our eyes.  It is to see Him with understanding and faith.  If we see Jesus in this way, we have seen God.  But it is possible to see Him with neither understanding nor faith.  To see Him as a good man, a prophet, a saint, but not Immanuel, God with us is to see Him without understanding, for it is to miss the real Jesus.  To see Him as God, yet remain unaffected and unchanged by this knowledge is to see Him without faith.  Let us not be as Philip and Judas.  Let us understand and believe.

2 comments:

  1. We have a problem interpreting Scripture. Much like those in the 1st century we want it to say what WE want it to say. We don’t take the time to listen to what God is telling us. Many misinterpreted the Scriptures about the Messiah. Judas rejected the Lord Jesus, as did many Jews, because their understanding of what the Messiah was supposed to do was not same as what He actually came to do. They wanted a mighty king who was going to end the Roman oppression and put them back on top. If they truly understood the words of Moses and the Prophets they would have realized that He came to save us, not from oppression of the world, but oppression from sin.

    We make the same mistakes today. I hear many so called churches preach that the Lord Jesus is going to come back and save all of mankind. But that is not what the Bible says. We are told that the Lord Jesus is like a two edged sword. Saving on the forward stroke and condemning on the back stroke. It is foolishness to think that as long as we are good loving people we are saved. It is not enough to just know who Jesus is, but we must know WHO Jesus is. As you mentioned, +Bishop Campbell, they knew Jesus was the Messiah, but they did not understand HE was much, much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe most people today see prayer and worship as ways to get God to do something for them. This is no surprise, for if, as you correctly state, people want the Bible to say what they want it to say, they naturally also want God to do what they want Him to do. Our Book of Common Prayer helps us avoid this mistake, for it makes God, rather than us, the center of prayer and worship. Yes, we still voice our needs to God, but we do this in a sense of casting ourselves upon His mercy and grace, rather than as a means of getting things from Him. Thanks again for the comments.

    ReplyDelete